Wednesday, August 11, 2010


My name is Judy Howieson, and I was born in Melbourne, Australia, in 1957.
6 decades, 2 centuries and one millennium ago. A lot has changed since then.
My first inspirations as an artist came about from the cool imagery of the 60's.
I loved European movies set on location, and knew that I had to travel there as soon as I was old enough. So I decided in 1968 at the age of 11, that I would not have a serious life, but rather, it would be fun. I trusted the outcome.
I was in the moment.
Without realizing it, I was hooking into the spirit of now, which sprung out of the 60's and 70's as a full on revival, and has remained the essence of how I live.
My art is a reflection of the things I am drawn to, travel, nature, a whirlwind of kaleidoscopic imagery that can be meditated upon or simply viewed for what it is.
My favourite things in life are freedom, beauty, peace. I am still inspired by the 50's and 60's sleek modern designs. I admire the architects Lautner, Frey and Neutra. Their buildings have a simplicity in form, yet are daring and perfectly balanced as art. I love long empty beaches, tropical jungles, quiet desert landscapes and urban sprawls. All this is part of my life and art as a designer.

I did end up travelling for 30 years, starting the journey in London in 1979, living a life of fun, creatively earning a living as an artist drawing animated cartoons. (Pink Floyd-the Wall was my favourite job) I met my husband Jurgen in London and we moved to LA for 14 years where we still have a home. We are currently living in sub tropical northern NSW, Australia, with 6 adorably annoying cats.


the illustrations are: top Charley Harper, an amazing illustrator of birds and nature, movie poster from That Man from Rio, we have an original of this and the fabulous TWA poster of LA by David Klein.

No comments:

Post a Comment